By: Kaitlin Meilert
Baseball season is in full swing! What better way to spend a summer afternoon than catching a ballgame, noshing on hot dogs and other iconic ballpark eats, and washing it all down with an ice cold beer?
Vegan baseball fans typically miss out on half the fun of going to a ballgame, but living off peanuts and Cracker Jacks for nine innings is slowly becoming a thing of the past.
Ballparks across the nation are adding veg-friendly noms to their concession stands. Most notable among these is Target Field, home of the Minnesota Twins.
According to People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), Target Field is the most vegan-friendly ballpark in Major League Baseball (MLB). The Minneapolis-based stadium earned the number one spot on PETA’s 2018 Top 10 Vegan Friendly Ballparks list with its wide variety of vegan options, including cruelty-free burgers, burritos, tacos, pizza, and, of course, hot dogs.
A household name among Twin City vegans, The Herbivorous Butcher is exactly what it sounds like: a meatless butcher shop for vegans! The shop offers a rotating menu of cruelty-free meats and dairy-free cheeses at a brick-and-mortar store, a food truck, and, as of 2017, Target Field.
Target Field is not the only ballpark meeting customer demand for plant-based options. Here are a few standouts on PETA’s Top 10 Vegan Friendly Ballparks list for 2018:
- Globe Life Park – Arlington, TX: The home of the Texas Rangers boasts a wide variety of vegan noms featuring the popular Beyond brand, including a vegan Frito pie with Beyond Crumbles and veggie wraps with Beyond Chicken. Game goers will also find cruelty-free nachos, chili, burgers, and dogs.
- Progressive Field – Cleveland, OH: The Cleveland Indians stadium has expanded their veg options significantly since it made honorable mention on PETA’s 2011 list. Guests will find vegan grilled cheese sandwiches, tacos, burgers, dogs, and burritos at various restaurants throughout the stadium.
- Chase Field – Phoenix, AZ: Vegan game goers can expect an array of cruelty-free options at a Diamondbacks game. With options like the Beyond Meat burger, a Sonoran Veggie wrap with vegan chicken, Seared Tofu Flatbreads, tamales, and Field Roast Franks, Chase Field also keeps its veg food on the healthy side.
- Rogers Centre – Toronto, ON, Canada: Rogers Centre is THE ballpark to go to if you are a fan of the Toronto Blue Jays and vegan nachos. The stadium’s plant-based nachos feature tortilla chips topped with black beans, guacamole, pico de gallo, and house-made vegan cheese. Be sure to save room for a slice of coconut cream pie!
- Kauffman Stadium – Kansas City, MO: Sliding into the list’s number ten spot is a newcomer to the Top 10 Vegan Friendly Ballparks list. While the home of the Royals might be PETA’s Rookie of the Year, the stadium is already a pro when it comes to plant-based options. From the meat-free Beyond Burger to vegan Bavarian pretzels to cruelty-free coleslaw, Kauffman Stadium is loaded with hearty vegan fare.
Vegan ballpark food is not limited to PETA’s Top 10 list. Sports fans can check for plant-based options at ballparks and other sports venues nationwide with Veggie Happy, a new vegan guide featuring 50 veg-friendly sports venues, their plant-based offerings, and where to find them. Vegan sports fans, play ball!