Make your Thanksgiving extra Canadian with this yummy vegan poutine recipe
Skip the turkey! Try Poutine — an authentic Canadian speciality — with a vegan-friendly twist. (Think: french fries, but extra).
Cook it up for yourself (and friends!) with our cozy “Vegan Poutine with Miso Gravy” recipe from the Wholesome Culture cookbook.
Got extra vegan gravy? Smother it over some mashed potatoes (like this one from Sweet Simple Vegan) and bring on the dreamy, creamy, carby goodness.
Poutine with Miso Gravy
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Makes 2-3 servings
- 2-3 russet potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Vegan mozzarella (optional)
- Green onion (optional)
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 large white onion, minced
- 1 1/2 cups diced cremini mushrooms
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup unsweetened plant milk
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
- Preheat your oven to 425 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash and dry your potatoes, then proceed to cut them into uniform slices around 1/2 inch thick. Toss with a dash of salt and bake for 20-25 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- While the fries are baking, prepare the gravy. In a pot over medium heat, add your water and minced onion and cook until the onion begins to go translucent for 2-3 mins. Then add your mushrooms, salt, pepper, thyme, garlic, and soy sauce. Continue to cook for an additional 5 mins until the mushrooms begin to brown.
- Reduce the heat and add in the cornstarch, stirring to coat. Add in the broth and plant milk and begin to whisk together until the mixture thickens. Continue to whisk and add in your miso paste, getting rid of any lumps and cooking for an additional 3-5 mins until your desired thickness is reached.
- Once your fries have finished baking, top with your gravy and garnish with green onions and vegan mozzarella if desired.
For more Canadian Thanksgiving dinner inspiration, don’t miss the most irresistible vegan Thanksgiving menu ever.
And check out these posts full of more recipes from our cookbook!
- You’ll want these 2 yummy salads all fall
- Get the most out of summer with this vegan nice cream recipe!
- This is the vegan BLT sandwich of your dreams
- The BEST vegan cauliflower buffalo chick’n wings