- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 ½ tsp tikka masala
- 1 ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 can whole-peeled tomatoes
- 3 cups of cooked chickpeas
- 1-2 cups of brown basmati rice
- Bring a large pot of water to boil, pour in the rice, and boil for 30 minutes. Turn off the heat, drain the rice, return to the pot and steam for 10 minutes. Remove the lid and fluff the rice, with a fork and season with salt and taste.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, reduce the heat to medium-low and add the cumin seeds. Toast for 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Increase the heat to medium once the seeds become golden and fragrant, add the onion, garlic and ginger. Add the tikka masala, coriander, turmeric, salt and cayenne pepper and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the tomato and juices and raise the heat to medium-high to bring the mixture to a simmer. Cook for mixture for a further 10 minutes to allow flavours to develop.
- Serve the mixture whilst hot on top of the rice if desired with fresh coriander.