7 vegan health facts that will blow your mind
You probably already know that eating a plant-based diet has many health benefits – but these facts will blow your mind!
1. Eating legumes regularly could reduce your risk of colorectal cancer by 9–18 percent.
Yup, filling up your plate with the likes of chickpeas and beans could significantly reduce the risk of developing colorectal cancer!
2. Observational studies show that vegans have up to a 75 percent lower risk of developing high blood pressure.
When high blood pressure is such a common condition in the US and worldwide, knowing this kinda makes you want to hop on board, right?
3. Vegans have up to a 42 percent lower risk of dying from heart disease.
About 610,000 people die of heart disease in the US each year – but you could be nearly halving your chances by following a plant-based diet.
4. Most cases of food poisoning (about 70 percent), are due to eating contaminated animal flesh.
5. Those who follow a vegan lifestyle live longer than meat eaters.
With veganism lowering the risk of so many diseases, it’s hardly a surprise!
6. Research has found that vegans smell better than meat eaters.
Err, come again?
Yup – turns out eliminating red meat and dairy from the diet significantly reduces body odor. So, vegans naturally smell better!
7. Switching to a vegan diet could make PMS (premenstrual syndrome) symptoms much less intense or make it disappear altogether.
Yup, many women report fewer mood swings, cramps and bloating – and, although studies are still inconclusive, the elimination of dairy is thought to be the cause.
And it isn’t only PMS that they see an improvement in – some women report having lighter, less painful periods too!
And if you’re thinking of going vegan, but aren’t sure where to start – check out our unbelievably easy guide to going vegan!