How to make the most delicious pancakes (no milk or eggs needed!)
Our favorite thing to wake up to on lazy Sunday mornings? The smell of fresh pancakes, of course!
And if you’re looking to make the lightest, fluffiest, and yummiest plant-based pancakes to enjoy this Pancake Day – the tips below are just what you need!
The origin of pancakes
Pancakes are the ultimate brunch food – but did you know they’ve actually been around for thousands of years?
Yup, turns out our prehistoric ancestors may have even enjoyed pancakes during the Stone Age more than 30,000 years ago!
Today, this ancient food is popular all around the world, whether it’s fluffy American pancakes with maple syrup, traditional French crepes with lemon and sugar, or Mexican hotcakes!
Top tips for making the BEST plant-based pancakes
Now, some people worry that pancakes without eggs and dairy won’t taste as good as the traditional version of the dish – but that couldn’t be further from the truth!
Here are a few top tips for making flawless plant-based pancakes:
- Make the perfect “buttermilk.” Use apple cider vinegar and soy milk for your buttermilk. It should be thick and curdled to help the pancakes rise.
- Forget the blender. You don’t want your pancake mix to be “over-mixed,” because in the process the batter becomes tough. The less you mix, the more tender and fluffy your pancakes will be!
- Use a “flavorless” oil. Sunflower or rapeseed are your best bet.
- Use a non-stick pan. We’re not celebrating Burnt Pancake Day, are we?
- Use unsweetened plant milk. To make your pancakes versatile, choose unsweetened plant milk for the batter (almond, oat, soy, coconut, and pea are all excellent options!).
- Wait for them to bubble. If you’re making classic American pancakes, wait for pancakes to bubble in the center. That’s your cue to flip them with a spatula!
- Eat your pancakes right away. No-one likes their pancakes soggy and tough! So, apply your toppings and serve them immediately.
Best toppings for plant-based pancakes
And here are some of our all-time favorite pancake toppings:
- Banana, peanut butter, and maple syrup (yum!)
- Chocolate spread (try Dark Chocolatey Dreams nutty chocolate spread!)
- Vegan yogurt (try Silk Peach & Mango Soy Dairy-Free Yogurt Alternative!)
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Silk (@silk) on
And now – ready to get cooking? Give these Blueberry Flaxseed Pancakes with Lemon Zest a try!
Blueberry Flaxseed Pancakes with Lemon Zest (gluten free)
Makes 3-4 servings
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 5 teaspoons ground flaxseed meal
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 and 1/2 cups gluten-free flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar or preferred sweetener
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups preferred plant-milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Zest of one small lemon
- In a small bowl or cup, mix 5 teaspoons ground flaxseed meal with 6 tablespoons water. Allow to sit for 5 minutes or until it begins to “gel.”
- Meanwhile, zest a small lemon  and set aside. In a large bowl, evenly combine gluten-free flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir in milk, vanilla, and oil.
- Heat pan on medium, adding a very thin layer of oil (if using a nonstick pan).
- Pour in a desired amount of batter, immediately topping with a few blueberries and a sprinkle of lemon zest. Wait for bubbles to form and pop throughout the pancake. Once this happens, cook for another 30 seconds, then flip over and continue to cook other side for 1-2 minutes (or until lightly browned). Remove from pan. Continue with the rest of pancake mixture.
- Top with vegan butter and/or maple syrup, as desired.
Notes:  Take care not to zest too far in as the white part can have a bitter taste.
You can find this recipe, along with more than 80 other delicious and nutritious plant-based recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert in the Wholesome Culture Cookbook!
Are you looking for more plant-based cooking inspiration? Check out these other recipes from the Wholesome Culture Cookbook:
- This is the vegan BLT sandwich of your dreams!
- The best vegan Cauliflower Buffalo Chick’n Wings
- Make this peanut butter smoothie to have the best day!
- The best yummy and healthy snacks you can make in minutes
- This vegan French toast will blow your mind