Nothing melts our hearts like rabbits do. How can anyone resist those floppy ears and chubby cheeks? Of course, rabbits aren’t just adorable – they’re super-cool creatures, too!
While rabbits are a common animal in many parts of the globe, most people aren’t aware of just how interesting and complex bunnies are. Keep reading to discover our favorite facts about these furry friends, and what you can do to help them thrive!
Rabbits take the “happy dance” to a whole new level
How can you tell when a rabbit is overjoyed? They do the “binky”. Never heard of it? Stop whatever you’re doing and watch this:
They deserve their own HGTV show
Rabbits dig tunnels (a.k.a. warrens) underground where they make their homes. These warrens are super complex and strangely human-like – they have “rooms” that serve specific functions, multiple entrances, and they can be big. Like tennis court big.
Having fun is always a top priority
Rabbits have no time for boredom. They need stimulation in order to avoid behavioural and health issues like destructiveness and depression. Of course, this poses a much bigger challenge for rabbits in captivity – they require a fun environment, companionship, and lots of toys in order to live their best lives.
How can you be a better advocate for rabbits?
- First of all, if you want a pet rabbit, adopt – don’t shop. Rabbits are one of the most abandoned animal species. They’re often seen as novelty gifts (especially during Easter) but they’re actually high-maintenance pets! Do your research before adopting.
- Hunting also poses a threat to rabbits. Believe it or not, some people want to wear and eat bunnies! You can help put a stop to these practices by asking companies who support the sale of rabbit meat and fur to reconsider.
- Climate change is taking a toll on many rabbit species. As their natural habitats are destroyed, some rabbits run out of food and shelter – which is completely devastating for their species. Help save rabbits by living an eco-friendly lifestyle and enjoying a vegan diet! Supporting rabbit advocacy groups is also a great way to make an impact.
Supporting rabbit welfare should be at the top of everyone’s priority list – after all, this world needs more binkies!
Discover even more incredible animal facts:
- 4 amazing things you don’t know about sparrows
- You’ll love these adorable facts about penguins
- Can animals really think and feel? Here are the facts