Think you know how to recycle? 11 ways you can do even better!
If you’re anything like us, then you probably want to help protect the planet as much as you can.
And recycling is a good place to start!
Want to know how to up your recycling game? Follow these quick and simple tips to learn how to recycle like a pro!
Why is recycling important?
To put it simply – because it makes a huge difference to the planet.
How we use materials has a direct impact on the planet’s environmental future. In a world where 1 billion trees worth of paper are thrown away each year, doing everything we can to stop this is a must.
The good news is that recycling just one run of the Sunday New York Times could save at least 75,000 trees!
Recycling helps reduce the amount of waste in landfills, conserves natural resources, saves energy and prevents pollution. In other words, it saves the world from looking like the wasteland in Wall-e.
Plus, not only is it good for the planet but it also creates 757,000 jobs in the U.S. in a single year!
So, join the recycling movement now – and make it a planet-loving and environmentally-friendly habit!
11 quick and easy tips for recycling like a pro
View this post on Instagram
It’s time to see recyclables as the Seventh Resource, not waste 🙅🏻♀️ There are six major natural resources on the planet: water, air, coal, oil, natural gas and minerals, and with #recycling as the seventh, we can preserve them 💪🏽
A post shared by Global Recycling Day (@globalrecyclingday) on
- To make recycling easy, make sure there are separate rubbish and recycling bins in each room. Not keen on having a bin in every room? Small boxes or a cupboards will do the trick.
- You can recycle more than paper, plastic, glass, and aluminum cans. Electronics, batteries, eyeglasses, wine corks, drywall, and holiday lights are just a few things that can be recycled as well.
- Never put your recycling in plastic bags. It makes it much harder to sort – so it could end up in the landfill – and the world already has a terrifying enough plastic problem!
- Before recycling, make sure the items are empty (yup, that means soaking that peanut butter jar until it’s clean).
- If you’re ever unsure of what can be recycled, check with your waste management company or council. Your best bet is looking it up on their website or app – they should have a comprehensive list of items they can recycle.
- Glass can be recycled 7 to 9 times – so make sure you always recycle your glass containers and bottles.
- To help eliminate waste, buy recycled products as often as you can – like recycled toilet paper, garbage cans, wrapping paper, and notebooks.
- Have you ever thought about recycling water? Yup, you could use your dishwashing water to water your garden or plants (just make sure you use biodegradable soap!).
- It’s not just about recycling! Think about the three Rs: reduce, reuse, recycle. Try and reduce the amount you consume by investing in well-designed and long-lasting products.
- Recycle your food waste. 20 percent of what goes into landfills is food – so make sure yours doesn’t end up there! Composting is a great way to recycle your food waste.
- If recycling’s not done right, it ends up in landfills. Be sure to prep your recycling before you put it out. Here’s a handy checklist of exactly what you need to do to get your recycling ready.
And now – want more tips on how to be kind to the environment? Check out these posts:
- Every scary fact you need to know about plastic straws
- 10 scary facts about climate change that will shock you
- Make these 11 easy swaps to be more eco-friendly
- 5 environmental issues that need to be on your radar this year