This is the best vegan grilled cheese sandwich we’ve ever tasted
Happy Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day! Is this the best holiday ever? Answer: Yes.
Just because you live a plant-based lifestyle does not mean you should miss out on the festivities (a.k.a. eating grilled cheese sandwiches all day long). In fact, we’d even venture to say that vegan grilled cheese is better than the classic – as long as you follow our recipe.
Celebrate with the Wholesome Culture Cookbook’s delectable plant-based take on grilled cheese sandwiches!
The Best Vegan Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Makes 2 servings
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 5-7 minutes
- 4 slices of sourdough, or other bread
- 2-3 teaspoons vegan mayo or butter
- Favorite vegan cheese
- 2 cups of tomatoes, diced
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons chipotle powder
- 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Vegan sour cream
- Pour 2 cups of diced tomatoes into a blender and blend for around 10-15 seconds, or until mostly smooth. Add to a medium sized pan over medium heat. Add in vegetable broth, nutritional yeast, chipotle powder, smoked paprika, cumin, garlic powder, and salt. Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In the meantime, spread a thin layer of vegan mayo  onto one side of each slice of bread. Place mayo side down in a separate pan that has been heated to medium. Immediately top with vegan cheese and the other slice of bread. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Flip and repeat with the other side.
Vegan hack:  Using mayo instead of butter is a grilled cheese sandwich hack that provides a delicious, more evenly cooked sandwich.
More plant-based grilled cheese sandwich hacks
- Experiment with different vegan cheeses! You never know which flavour combination will be your go-to until you try. Field Roast’s Tomato Cayenne Chao Slices are perfect for when you want to add some kick!
- When your sandwich is almost cooked, try sprinkling a few cheese shreds onto the outside of the bread and fry it for a few seconds more – it’ll add to the crispy, cheesy goodness!
- For more flavor variations, add some vegan bacon, tomato, or avocado slices to your sandwich. Check out this recipe for the best homemade tempeh bacon ever!
- Use your favorite bread, though we highly recommend sourdough!
Looking for more crave-worthy lunch ideas? Make sure to pick up your copy of the Wholesome Culture cookbook and follow @cookingwholesome on Instagram for recipe inspo!
View this post on Instagram
You don’t have to give up meat for life, instead you could try to commit to one meat free day a week! 🌿💚 It takes 2,500 gallons of water 💦 to produce a single pound of beef and end each hamburger that comes from animals on ex-forestry ground is responsible for the destruction of fifty-five square feet of forest. So, even cutting down a bit on consumption can help the environment. If you need some help with trying vegetarian meals, refer to our Wholesome cookbook! Available online 😻🌱📖 ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ @cjuddcphoto source: 50waystohelp.com . . . . . . #healthy #vegetarian#plantbased #organic #veganfoodshare #whatveganseat #food #fitness #foodporn #veganfood #eatclean #glutenfree #cleaneating #health #love #crueltyfree #raw #healthyfood #breakfast #govegan #instafood #foodie #fitfam #cookbook #love #recipes #winter #veggie #vegan
A post shared by Wholesome Culture (@wholesomeculture) on
Discover more Wholesome Culture Cookbook recipes:
- This vegan French Toast will blow your mind!
- This is the vegan BLT Sandwich of your dreams!
- The best vegan Cauliflower Buffalo Chick’n Wings