How to have the most eco-friendly music festival season ever
When it comes to music festivals, it’s hard to resist the excitement of the crowds, the crazy outfits, and, of course, the musicians. Something no one wants to talk about, however, is the whole “environmental disaster” aspect of these festivals.
For those of us trying to live an eco-friendly lifestyle, the havoc festivals wreak on the environment poses a big dilemma. Is it possible to enjoy the music while protecting our planet? Keep reading to find out how you can help out this festival season!
How to have a planet-friendly music festival season
How much waste do festivals really create?
We’ve crunched the numbers – and the amount of waste created by music festivals is overwhelming:
- Roughly 23,500 tons of waste is created annually by music festivals in the UK alone.
- Only a third of that waste is recycled; the rest goes in landfills.
- US festivals create a whopping 53,000 tons of waste every year.
- Festivals are also notorious for polluting nearby waterways as well as damaging animal habitats.
How to reduce your impact this music festival season
While you’re preparing for fun in the sun and catching some of your favourite artists, here are a few other things to keep in mind prior to your next festival experience:
- Take a bus or carpool to the festival in order to reduce GHG emissions!
- Make sure to recycle, and consider volunteering to help clean up the festival site while you’re at it. The goal is to leave the land the way you found it!
- Go thrifting to find your perfect festival wardrobe! You’ll cut down on clothing pollution and will likely find some one-of-a-kind pieces. Just skip the glitter, unless you can find plastic-free varieties.
View this post on Instagram
Already the second year we’re collaborating with @unifygathering!! And second time is going to be even better!!! They are still available! 😉 😉⠀ ⠀ #festivals #unify #unifygathering #gathering #festivalsite #festivalcouple #festivalmusic #festivalstyle #australia #aussie
A post shared by KARTENT (@kartent_official) on
- Take your tent home – you’d be surprised by how many people fail to do so. You can always get a recyclable one if you really don’t want to pack up your tent.
Your ultra-eco packing list
Don’t forget these items at home!
- Bring biodegradable soaps and shampoos, and take as short of showers as possible. Whatever you do, don’t pollute surrounding rivers, lakes, or oceans by bathing in them (even with biodegradable soap).
- Pack your own non-perishable, plant-based snacks and food if you’re unsure about available food options. Bring them in reusable vegan food wraps or glass containers.
- Having your own refillable water bottle is a must. Our “Less Plastic, More Love” bottle is back in stock!
- Skip the plastic forks and knives and pack our reusable bamboo utensils instead!
- Make your morning caffeine fix planet-friendly with our “Live Gently Upon this Earth” biodegradable reusable coffee mug.
- Biodegradable sunblock will protect your skin and the environment.
- Use natural bug spray to prevent spraying nasty chemicals into the air.
While there’s still much work to be done, there are plenty of ways to enjoy music festivals while also being kind to the environment. Here’s to a fun and eco-friendly season!