The eco-friendly underwear brands we’re currently obsessed with
Let’s talk about undies.
They’re one of those things that no one else sees, and yet we wear them every single day! And since we’re all about embracing sustainability in every area of our lives, our underwear is no exception.
Plus, when we wear cute undies that are gentle on the planet… we feel better from the inside out. So give a little extra eco-conscious attention to your undies with these simple tips!
Here’s what to look for in your eco-friendly underwear!
When shopping for underwear, and anything else we’re putting on our bodies, we look for materials that are:
- Naturally dyed
- Ideally organic
Here are some of the fabrics we peep for on labels:
- Organic hemp: Hemp uses less water than cotton, doesn’t require pesticides, and it’s super comfy.
- Organic cotton: One of the biggest perks of organic cotton is that it’s made without pesticides and other chemicals.
- Bamboo: Bamboo is moisture-wicking, hypo-allergenic, and naturally pest-resistant. And it’s one of the fastest growing planets in the world, so it can replenish itself easily. (Read more about the benefits of bamboo: here).
- Tencel: This is a cellulose fiber made from dissolved wood pulp, which makes it plant-based and biodegradable.
- Upcycled and recycled materials: We love everything from upcycled plastic water bottles to recycled nylon. Giving materials a second (or even third) life is an amazing way to show love to Mother Earth.
But we’re also on the search for brands who are dedicated to kind-living practices like using low-waste packaging, employing ethical labor practices, donating a portion of profits to meaningful causes, and promoting body inclusivity. It’s a lot to consider, but worth the research!
Here are 5 of our favorite eco-friendly underwear brands:
1. BOODY: the simple and more affordable choice
They’re also WRAP-certified and the bamboo is FSC-certified (meaning their productions don’t contribute to natural habitat destruction). And the prices start at about $12 per pair, making them one of the more affordable eco-conscious options available.
2. ORGANIC BASICS: the super sustainable option
Sustainability is at the core of everything that Organic Basics creates. The materials are high-quality, long-lasting, and responsibly sourced. And they’ve set up The Organic Basics Fund, which goes towards supporting grassroots activists and organizations that address the environmental crisis.
The shades are mostly nudes, whites, and blacks, perfect for your everyday. While the prices aren’t cheap, our favorite and most affordable selection is the thong 4-pack for $64.
3. PACT: organic cotton & sweet styles
Put a little pop in your wardrobe with undies from Pact! Using all organic cotton, Pact aims to remove chemicals from its production…. and deliver super soft undies to you.
They have lacy thongs, cheeky hipsters, and classic fit bikinis in all sorts of styles from stripes to neutrals. And for the men, they have boxers, briefs, and trunks. P.S. Most of the undies start at $12 per pair, but you can save a little $$ with the 6-packs.
4. TOMBOY: inclusive, cute & quirky designs
We love the mission at Tomboy so much. Their mantra: “Underwear that fits you because fitting in was never the point.” YES.
View this post on Instagram
Oh Canada! 🍁Have we got some good news for you. We now offer free shipping on any order over $75 to our friends to the North. • • • • • • #genderneutral #underwear #canada #genderless #fashion #tomboys #tomboyfashion #tomboystyle #androgyny #androgynous #tomboyforlife
A post shared by TomboyX (@tomboyx) on
The undies are made with OEKO-TEX 100 certified fabrics (free of chemicals) and they use mostly MicroModal materials, which is a fabric made of Beechwood fiber.
The size range is XS – 4X and no matter if you love thongs, briefs, bikinis, or boxer briefs… Tomboy has it all!
5. THUNDERPANTS: animal-lover undies
Want some underwear with sloths on them? Same. These undies from Thunderpants are super cute and made from 90% organically grown fair trade cotton. And all the garments are made locally in Portland, Oregon.
View this post on Instagram
Thunderpants organic cotton/spandex fabric is knit to our exact standards to give it just enough stretch to bounce back and stay up and on. You can’t find this exact fabric anywhere else in the world. How cool is that?
A post shared by Thunderpants USA (@thunderpantsusa) on
We also love the lucky horses and pink carnations styles — they’re super comfortable and add so much joy to our underwear drawer!
Are you super excited about ethical fashion? So are we! Read more about our mission at Wholesome Culture, here.
And check out these posts to read more posts about eco-friendly fashion:
- All the best vegan friendly shoes you’ll love this fall
- The real good reason you have to wait longer to get our clothes
- How to make sure you’re supporting ethical fashion